American Football (1) Anatomy (1) Athlete Monitoring (12) Big Picture / Prioritizing (23) Biomechanics (3) Book Reviews (19) Business (2) Buy-in (2) Center of Excellence (48) Certifications (1) CESSCE Research (7) Coach Education (25) Coaching (23) Compensations (2) CPD/CEU (18) Endurance Training (9) Ethics (7) ETSU Men's Soccer (20) ETSU Women's Soccer (2) FA Cup (3) Fatigue Management (3) Female Athletes (2) Florida State (2) Football / Soccer (56) Friends (2) General (12) General Public (13) Goal Setting (5) Goalkeepers (1) Gymnastics (1) Health and Fitness (6) In Memory (1) Injury Prevention (18) inspirational (2) ISBS 2014 (1) Jobs (4) Jumping Performance (1) LTAD (10) Management (6) Match Analysis (2) Mentors (3) Mike Stone (4) Misconceptions (8) Monitoring (10) Movement Mechanics (4) Moving S and C Forward (30) Music (1) My Academics (12) My Career (26) My Recovery / Training (14) NCAA Sports (21) Networking (1) NSCA (4) Nutrition (4) Olympic Weightlifting (8) Overtraining (9) Peaking (1) Performance Mindset (7) Performance Testing (1) Periodization (20) Power (3) Preseason (3) Pro Sport (27) Products (10) Pursuit of Performance (9) Q and A (6) Rehabilitation (9) Research (15) Responsiblity (7) Running (3) Sleep (1) Specialization (5) Specificity (4) Speed (6) Sport Psychology (1) Sport Science (57) Sports Medicine (3) Strength and Conditioning (26) Strength Training (14) Tapering (3) Team Dynamics (5) Team Sports (6) Technique (1) Technology (3) Tottenham Hotspur (1) Track and Field (4) UKSCA (5) UKSEM (1) Whole-body Vibration (1) WTF? (1) Young Athletes (12) Young Practitioners (21)

Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Rehab - on the road to recovery

Rehab - on the road to recovery.  Nope I am not talking about Tiger Woods’ epic battle with his addiction to infidelity, nor are we about to discuss Amy Winehouse's latest developments.  That might be too interesting for the followers of this blog!

I saw my surgeon today and I am now allowed to weight-bear.  This is a massive step (pun intended) in my rehab.  I have since been walking around with my crutches testing out how much weight I can put on my left leg and I have been feeling a really strange sensation. It is a sensation that I didn’t get last time around.  Back in 2008, the operation was more brutal and I had more pain in the joint at 6 weeks post-op so I was focused on that.  This time around, the pain is minimal, but my whole musculature just can’t deal with my weight yet.  It feels as if I am sinking with every step (and in reality I am).

All of the muscles involved in walking are weak, but without a doubt the weakest are the muscles of my foot.  This has surprised me as I was expecting to be feeling it more in the hip, but it does makes sense.  The gluteals, quadriceps, and hamstrings have had a role (albeit small) in moving around and in day to day life, even on crutches.  I have also been able to do a little open chain strength work for these areas in the past 2 weeks.

The muscles of the foot, on the other hand, have been entirely dormant.  When rehabbing from a specific injury I feel that it is all too easy to get caught up in just that area of the body and ignore other things that may be going on.  Nearing a "comeback" compensations or other weaknesses may well then cause a breakdown.  In my case, the foot is a weak link in the chain that I must address in the coming weeks - it is not JUST about the hip after all.

My numbers are below, and I have even done a nice little graph for you all (ok I was playing around with the mac version of excel).  I am really surprised that I not only halted the muscle wastage, but was also able to reverse this a little with the rehab exercises I have been doing since March 2nd.



Often when I write for other people, I learn and realize things myself.  I am glad I vented in my “image” post - because it has strengthened my desire even further to get my own body and athleticism back.  I said to my physiotherapy consultant today that my BIG strength and conditioning goal for 2010 is not to read more books or journals, nor is it to master a new area of sport science.  Instead, my own training needs to take precedence.

Happy days - I am using all of this as a learning experience, after all there is no better case study than yourself!

2 comments:

  1. As expected - my foot, ankle, calf is feeling it today! Good feeling though I have missed the feeling like I actually did something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. I like the graph. Guess I may see you soon.

    ReplyDelete